Monday, April 22, 2013
From the long history of lynchings and Klan attacks to every time there's a Charles Byrd dragged to death in Texas or James Craig Anderson being beaten and fatally run over or Marco McMillian being beaten, dragged, and set afire in Mississippi, every Black person lives under the threat of death from unknown persons who may strike out of an unfounded and irrational hatred. This is the same insanity that White America struggled to understand in the aftermath of 9/11. Going forward there was a tendency to allow the threat level to diminish in their minds as time caused the impact of the event to fade from memory. Fast-forward to the Boston 2013 Marathon and the emotional scar was reopened. Can this be an opening for America to at least dialog about the need to address the cancer that is racist hatred for Black America? If so, welcome to the terror-dome and let's destroy it while we still can. We were all Americans for a few weeks after 9/11 so hopefully, since these two "terrorists" who are the very definition of White as in from the Caucasus region that gave us the term Caucasian have been identified as the perpetrators, we can unite to face the truth that the threat from without is great enough to make us remove the madness of imagined threats from within based on ethnicities...
Wednesday, April 10, 2013
- Race in my title is in quotes because I read and saw a fascinating article and PBS program that made a coherently cohesive logical argument for why human beings come in ethnicities and not races. The primary point being that there are not enough physiological differences at the cellular level for us to be considered different from each other racially. Basically, the fact that we can mate successfully producing normally functioning offspring makes our differences more about geographic adaptation than those of evolved races like Cro-Magnon, Neanderthal, and Java people of the homo-sapien variety...
- Obama's reelection has sent the white male dominated establishment over the collective edge and they are grasping desperately for fantasies. Actions that mark the behaviors of the clinically insane. Witness their combined efforts to embrace anything that opposes the prospect of the President succeeding on any front: the economy, jobs, the crumbling infrastructure, the environment, education, and even their own personal safety regarding gun control when the will of 91% of the population to have stricter gun control laws in the form of universal background checks is overridden by the gun manufacturers lobby known as the nra...
- The republicons have allowed a fringe element of not even comically cloaked racists calling themselves the tea party to control the thought capital, or lack thereof, of their efforts even after seeing their political efforts go up in flames in massive and historic proportions. This isn't unexpected because any party that has seen newt gingrick (no mispelling, that's his given spelling before he changed it for political nuance), david duke, bob bauer, sarah palin, michelle bachman, sheriff joe apaio, and george allen on it's national stage can't be faulted for longing for the good ol' days of slavery, Jim Crow, and separate-but-equal. Why they were willing to invoke the wrath of GOD on this Christian nation (NOT!) by having a non-Christian mormon in the White House! Side Point: Christianity teaches that there is only One GOD and one Path to Him, and that's Through JESUS CHRIST. So exactly how does a nation founded on freedom to worship any god you choose or none at all qualify as Christian? Short answer - it doesn't...
- The demicrats are little better. You certainly have to ask yourself why the party that initially held a substantial Congressional majority in both houses didn't get more done in the first two years of the President's term and then willingly proved themselves so ineffectual as to get routed in the 2010 elections ceding majority power in the House in a landslide and maintaining only a slim majority in the Senate. Couple that with the remaining question of why after a 5M vote squashing of willard mitt romney last year, they still haven't closed ranks behind the President to force-feed this country the medicine it needs to get back on track? Of course, you'll hear them talk about filibusters and veto proof majorities but where was that same talk and political stalemating they when bush-cheyney occupied the Oval Office with unearned and unwarranted dictatorial-like powers that allowed them to shove two unfunded wars and stomp on countless freedoms while fostering usury for most of America that bankrupted the nation while creating a new oligarchical class of the top 2%?
You see, as traumatic as the first incarnation of the Tiger & Barack show was, it was presumed to be only a temporary condition that once the good white power structure worshiped their god properly, the almighty dollar, and pressed the issue by training and recruiting successors to take back their rightful places; all would again be right with the world. Why there was even glee in the tumultuous state of Tiger's marital woes, and more in the chance to see a non-Christian white prove that even he was a better alternative than a Christian man of color. This is a Christian nation, is it not? (Again NOT!) Funny thing happened on the way to the past. Tiger began to right his ship and reassert himself as golf's dominant force and Barack -- well, you know the rest...
That's when the combined intellect of the white male dominant power structure began to implode and lose its grip on reality. A second term at the top makes them both legit even in the eyes of the white power structure. The birther message finally lost its steam. The secret Muslim rantings even subsided. The nonsense didn't work and now the harsh reality has set in. Even though the good of all America is good for the white male establishment too, they'd rather commit the treason that leads to national suicide than to rescue the country. Even when figuratively, actually, and ultimately this is a good, if not great, thing for them too! If a black man is going to get the credit then he may be somehow seen as a success paving the way for other minorities to someday usurp their divine right to sit in these two highest representations of their lost philosophy of the white male being entitled to rule the world.
So, be very careful, my friends, because there is a heightening sense of this irrationality that is becoming increasingly evident. Have you noted the number of white officials who have allowed hateful racial epithets to drip confidently from their lips only to offer up a terse apology when called on it but then refusing to step aside, resign, or receive reprimands for their behaviors? You see, this has regressed from the poorly concealed racist emails, cartoons, and jokes that popped up during the first term. These comments are now being verbalized in public forums and the speakers are sure enough of themselves to have resisted calls and actions calling for their removal. This indicates a graduated infection that will only get worse without proper treatment. It began with Sen. john mccain's infamous "that one over there" in one of the 2008 presidential debates, US Rep-SC joe wilson's "You lie!" at Obama's 1st State of the Union address, and AZ gov jan brewer's wagging her finger disrespectfully while seemingly scolding the leader of the free world. Unfortunately, the President didn't understand the menacing cancer that was about to metastasize onto the American consciousness and thus he didn't act aggressively and assertively to eradicate it at the source by using the might of the highest office in the land. Since then, there's been an opening of Pandora's taboo box of not approaching the third rail of incendiary comments.
Remember the days of Jimmy the Greek, Al Campanis, Howard Cosell, Sen. robert byrd, and others who were summarily dismissed or reprimanded for broaching these same areas without nearly the bravado of these latest forays. Well, my friends, this has all led me to the following inescapable questions: if we've backslid this far toward the good 'ol days, where will it end? Can lynchings and Jim Crow be far behind? Gerrymandering and emergency managers in predominantly black cities in Michigan, are these the wave of the future? When voting rights are considered by a sitting Supreme Court justice to be a racial entitlement (without so much as a peep from the handkerchief head justice who sits next to him), what do you think they'll come for next? We're not different races just different ethnicities. That has to make some kind of difference! I'm just sayin' because it had to be said...
Monday, January 9, 2012
Monday, May 2, 2011
Monday, March 28, 2011
Friday, March 25, 2011
Thursday, February 17, 2011
The AAA also stated,
"The American Anthropological Association recommends the elimination of the term "race" from OMB Directive 15 during the planning for the 2010 Census. During the past 50 years, "race" has been scientifically proven to not be a real, natural phenomenon. More specific, social categories such as "ethnicity" or "ethnic group" are more salient for scientific purposes and have fewer of the negative, racist connotations for which the concept of race was developed."
"Yet the concept of race has become thoroughly--and perniciously--woven into the cultural and political fabric of the United States. It has become an essential element of both individual identity and government policy. Because so much harm has been based on "racial" distinctions over the years, correctives for such harm must also acknowledge the impact of "racial" consciousness among the U.S. populace, regardless of the fact that "race" has no scientific justification in human biology. Eventually, however, these classifications must be transcended and replaced by more non-racist and accurate ways of representing the diversity of the U.S. population."
Wednesday, February 2, 2011
Tuesday, January 25, 2011
Wednesday, November 3, 2010
- Did the Democrats pass up a golden opportunity to root out vote fraud and fix a corrupt voting process?
- Is there something fundamentally wrong with how NFL quarterbacks like Jason Campbell and Donovan McNabb are treated versus Brett Favre and Jay Cutler even though record-wise Cambell and McNabb are playing significantly better?
- Have we become a country that cannot think well enough to usher the radical nuts like Sarah Palin, Rush Limbaugh, and Glenn Beck off the stage?
- Does it seem that President Obama doesn't understand that we are not in a post-racial society and that his efforts to bring compromise are being stymied by both Democrats and Republicans who refuse to work with him because of his ethnicity?
- Why do we continue to allow the richest 2-3 percent of the population to rake more and more of the economic pie into their purses (some estimates say 90% of the wealth) as the rest of us are hoodwinked into a bait and switch involving gay marriage, race-baiting, immigration, and abortion while the rich and super-rich, especially corporate entities leave us scrapping for the remaining crumbs (the other 10%)? Should a pizza with 10 slices and 100 people waiting to eat have 2-3 people get 9 slices and the other 97-98 fighting for even a sniff of the last slice?
Thursday, December 17, 2009
The great society of the new millenium heralded by the deposition of the horrific bush-cheyney dictatorship as the people rose up to elect a hopeful new intelligent leader has proven to be a lot of the same old-same old. Two needless-useless wars continue; the rich continue to get richer while the poor get poorer; personal freedoms continue being abridged; the idiotic fringe remains unchecked in their support of suicidal issues like zero gun control; and corporations increase their control of government while seeking to become a new classification of lifeform with rights that supercede those of any living organism: human, animal, or plant...
The greatest example of the latter is the healthcare debacle. We thought we had a President with a commitment to real change that would involve putting the best interests of the people of this nation first but alas it really is business as usual. First, he continued the insane policy of giving hundreds of billions of taxpayer dollars without any strings to the very banks and other financial institutions who created the our economic crisis and who flatly refused to channel those funds back into the economy to keep millions of people from losing their jobs so that these latter day robber barons could regain their obscene profits. Then he promoted and listened to a military leader, Gen. Stanley McCrystal, who had already shown his unfitness for the post by carrying out a major scandal along with the previous administration in the attempted cover-up and misuse of the death of Cpl. Pat Tillman by friendly fire.
In between, President Obama undertook a historic mission to overhaul the healthcare business and provide something that initially over 70% of the public supported -- a system of universal healthcare for all Americans. A no-brainer that now appears to reflect the possibility for the greatest windfall profit in US history. No public option, no expansion of Medicare, and no penalties for denial of coverage for preexisting conditions, but mandated healthcare insurance purchases with penalties for non-compliance. Instead of universal healthcare, this would be forced healthcare purchases for 30 million people from the same unregulated health insurance cartels that would charge 17% of the income of households making less than $88K per year.
No wonder that now only 37% of the public supports this latest plan which the administration has curiously permitted to morph into this giveaway to the health insurance industry. An industry which by the way contributes absolutely nothing to actual health care. So the only winners here are the Cigna's, Blue Crosses, Aetna's, and United Healthcare's as this administration is now caught between the proverbial rock and a hard place. Pass this bad legislation and the insurers win big, or do nothing and let the republicans and the insurers claim victory while the President looks ineffectual. That type of impotence is a lot more of the same from democrats who currently control both Congress and the White House...
Well, there is a third option... Use the power of the ballot that was bestowed upon you in the last election and use the reconciliation procedure to pass the original legislation that we the dominant majority of people prefer. Forget this notion of compromise when your opponents both within and without your party have shown that they have no interest in. Do what's right for the people of this nation and defy the corporate entities that would be dictator kings. Be a democratic party that shows a backbone, a real spine, and show us a new trajectory for this nation or at least one that hasn't been experienced in over 30 years. Something, anything, other than business as usual...
Wednesday, October 14, 2009
While the rest of the world has reacted as I believed they would in seeing the Obama election as a positive signal after 8 years of the most negative, polarizing administration since Woodrow Wilson, the change in the US of A has been discouraging to say the least and frightening to say the most. Racism has roared back to the front in levels unseen since the 60's at the height of the Civil Rights movement. For 40 years it had been more or less resigned to an underground, mostly off-the-radar status, that occasionally flared up in cases like the Rodney King beating, the Amadou Diallo killing, the James Byrd Jr. dragging murder, or the Sean Bell killing, but now it has gathered itself and risen like a mangy, rabid rottweiler ready to attack.
However, this time it seems to have decided that it can play directly in the sunlight and out of the shadows going openly after any and every thing that looks like it might benefit people of color: healthcare reform, gun control, border stabilization, and blue collar jobs. Using fear of becoming a minority as its rationale to keep ordinarily good men and women of European ethnicity from opposing and relegating it back to the shadows, there is more than a passing nod to the limbaughs, becks, and bachmanns of the world while when it was perfectly permissible to vilify Rev. Jeremiah Wright for his views, nothing is being said about an Arizona crazy church where the pastor preaches vile and despicable hatred for Obama.
Here's the rub. This time the overt racism is being handled like a precision instrument that has the power to inflict blunt force trauma. The Rupert Murdochs, the Goldman Sachs, the Morgan Stanleys, the Exxon Mobils, and the like have decided that this is the best smokescreen that they could ever have to keep the masses from recognizing that the real problem isn't the color of anyone's skin but the fact that some 3-4% of the population is controlling 90% of the wealth while the other 96-97% of us scramble over something less than 10%. Racism has the irrational effect of blinding people to the facts. Its very nature is predicated on ignoring the obvious and proceeding to the stereotypes. And that's what makes today's version so much more insidious because while it has always been an evil tool borne out of fear, that fear used to be genuinely spawned out of ignorance. Today, those who wield it, not only know better, but would do so with full knowledge of the catastrophic effects on our society, and all simply because of greed.
So, we have democrats as well as republiklans involved is this great morality play that is geared to somehow make us believe that there continues to be a "debate" over moral issues when all evidence points to the central theme being played out as "haves" vs. "have nots". Why else would Wall Street get away with hundreds of billions of taxpayer dollars with no strings attached and precious little oversight while many more hundreds of thousands of jobs related to the automobile industry are allowed to disappear as lawmakers quibble about a few "measly" billion dollars (some 31B)? And why else could a Dept. of Transportation figure out that 3 Billion dollars could come very close to rescuing the auto industry by putting that money directly between the consumer and the industry but that kind of thinking somehow eluded the Dept. of Commerce and the rest of the administration?
And in this, Mr. President Obama, even you have fallen prey to the fallacy of the economic policies adhered to by your chief fiscal advisers who all subscribe to the generally unmerited theories of Milton Friedman and the U. of Chicago. They're dead wrong because nothing has ever proven to be able to police itself. It's simply mankind's nature to need controls and yet Friedman's standing principle is on the market's ability to do just that. You said, Bro. Barack, that 'we couldn't stand by and let the financial system fail' and you also said that 'we don't want to see our friends and neighbors who work for the health insurance companies lose their jobs'. Well, I believe you to be wrong on both accounts and here's the irony -- because both of those statements violate the theory that you were educated under.
If the market truly works, then businesses must be allowed to fail to show that the system can work and correct itself. And further, in the case of health insurers, those that bring no intrinsic value to a process should be eliminated. We need a new system and a new process as we're already seeing a fresh influx of greed on Wall St while unemployment reaches unprecedented numbers. Not because of the percentages but because of the size of the population. With over 300M people, a 10% unemployment figure represents the highest number of total people ever not working in this country!
So all of this brings me to the title of this missive. Every major society of the recorded and studied periods of history all failed because they allowed the decadence of greed to foster an environment of the rich few to lead lives of debauchery (Paris Hilton, Donald Trump, etc.) while the masses groaned under the weight of oppression. There's a very old adage that simply says, 'those who ignore the mistakes of the past are doomed to repeat them' which can today be coupled with the new popular definition of insanity: 'doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result"...